BIRTHDAY PLANS: So as you all know, my birthday is coming up…and well… you all know by now that I don’t just celebrate for that day, but I do for about a week or so. This year it’s a little more special because I’m turning 21, and well…I’m celebrating first with only my family, then only friends, then only boyfriend and so on…
So I thought write a “On My Plate” with a recipe for “Jell-O Shots” seems perfect for another “On My Plate” post on my blog.
I’m SO happy to share this one with you guys!
The information & pictures will be from different sites on the internet and will be linked at the end of each post.
I’ll be posting more recipes about starters, main dishes, desserts and many more. If you try make any of them, I’ll be happy to read your comments.
Thank you always for your support!
Hollowed out strawberries work as a vehicle for a Jell-0 concoction of strawberry gelatin, tequila and a touch of Grand Marnier. Garnished with cute little wedges of lime these little shots are absolutely adorable!
`Note to self: If there is a hole of any size in the bottom of the berry the Jell-O will flow right through!
STRAWBERRY MARGARITA JELL-O SHOOTERS RECIPIE
YIELD: Makes 24-30 Shooters
- 1 box Strawberry Jell-O
- 8 ounces tequila, preferably reposado or blanco
- 6 ounce Cointreau
- Salt for garnish
- Cut the bottoms of the strawberry flat to get them to stand upright. When you do so, make sure that you do not cut off so much that there is a hole at the bottom.
- Use a huller or apple corer to empty out the strawberry.
- Once the strawberries have been emptied, use a towel to pat the outside of the strawberries dry.
- Check each strawberry and make sure there is not a hole in the bottom before you start filling.
- Boil one cup of hot water in a saucepan, then add in Jell-o powder and whisk until powder is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Set aside. Measure out 1/4 cup of cold water and set aside.
- Combine tequila and Cointreau, in cocktail shaker filled with ice. Add liquour mixture to cold water and stir to combine. Then add cold liquour mixture to hot Jell-o mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour final Jell-o mix into strawberries and chill overnight. Dip your finger in water or use a moistened brush to wet the edge of the strawberries, dip and rotate the strawberries in salt to rim. Garnish with cut lime triangles to finish.
A FEW NOTES:
- Use the real Jell-o mix and not a store brand, as the store brands tend not to set up as firmly.
- Choose the freshest strawberries you can find.
- You can use a strawberry huller or an apple corer along with a melon baller to empty out the strawberry.
- These are best made the night before and served the next day.
- Fill your strawberries as high as possible, as the Jell-O will sink a bit in the middle.
The gelatin is mixed with water, 4 oz of tequila and 2 oz of Grand Marnier. When mixing, the “potion” smelled just like a Strawberry Margarita!The next hurdle was to actually get the Jell-O into the hollowed out berries… not an easy feat. The dropper sucked up about a Tbs of the Jell-O and squirted it into the berry.
♥ Giulia Zampieri